Flash 405 is Exposition Review’s multi-genre flash competition, awarding prizes and online publication to the winners! The contest runs every other month during our “off” season (January-August), when regular submissions are closed.
Flash 405 is judged by one of our managing editors or a guest judge. Each round is different; some judges will choose to have a theme, some will not. Please check the Call for Submissions post for each individual contest (listed below and on our blog) for details on the theme. General guidelines are as follows:
- Fiction. A complete story, up to 405 words (Get it?).
- Nonfiction. A complete story, up to 405 words.
- Poetry. One poem, up to 5 lines (including prose poems).
- Stage & Screen. A complete scene, up to 4 pages. Please format according to the standard unpublished playwriting or screenwriting format.
- Experimental. A complete short form narrative utilizing innovative techniques and/or hybrid forms. Consider the spirit of flash as well as the limits of other categories for length guidelines.
How does it work?
- Submissions: You submit your flash work via our Submittable. All submissions are judged anonymously. Multiple entries are allowed. Simultaneous submissions and previously published works are not. One piece per entry. Each entry is $5.
- Judging: We read your work. We deliberate, we duke it out, and eventually we narrow it down. Our judge chooses 1st and 2nd place, along with up to three honorable mentions.
- Prizes: The winners will all receive publication on the website. Our first and second place winners will also receive a cash prize–but here’s the fun part, there’s no limit to how much you could win. The more entries we receive, the larger the prize! Here’s a breakdown:
- 1st prize: Online publication + 40% of all entry fees.
- 2nd prize: Online publication + 20% of all entry fees.
- Honorable Mention: Online publication.
November 2015: “Roots” | Winners
February 2016: Amy Gerstler’s “Six Themes” | Winners
April 2016: “Fault” | Winners
June 2016: Judith Freeman’s “Metamorphosis” | Winners
August 2016: “Connect” | Winners
February 2020: “Bright Spot” | Winners
April 2020: K.B. Carle’s “Change in Perspective” | Winners
June 2020: “International Travel” | Winners
August 2020: Rita Bullwinkel’s “Invented Language” | Winners
February 2022: Mia Nakaji Monnier’s “Routine & Ritual” | Winners
April 2022: “Escape” | Now accepting submissions!