Exposition Review is currently closed for submissions for our annual issue. Our submission period runs from September–December each year.
Looking for our Flash 405 short-form writing contest? Click here.
Wondering what to submit to us? We like to be surprised; we like writing that’s razor sharp, immediately transporting us with a strong voice and sense of place. We like work that is thoughtful and cathartic, that embraces conflict, and isn’t afraid to take risks. We love pieces that blur the boundaries of genre. To get an even better idea of what we look for in submissions, please read our previous issues.
Annual Issue Submissions:
Every issue has a theme from which writers and artists can draw inspiration. We encourage those who submit to think outside the box; we look for stories that fit the theme yet make us think about it in different ways; we want work that satisfies and challenges traditional forms of storytelling.
The theme for our fourth annual issue is “Wonder.”
All work is read and given fair consideration by our editorial staff. Guidelines for individual genres are as follows:
- Fiction. Short stories and stand-alone novel excerpts not in excess of 5,000 words, or up to three pieces of flash fiction, 750 words or fewer. Pieces that exceed this limit will NOT be read.
- Nonfiction. Memoir, personal essays, and creative nonfiction, again not to exceed the 5,000 word limit.
- Poetry. Up to three poems of any form and in traditional or experimental styles.
- Stage & Screen. One-act plays, scenes, or short film and screenplay excerpts not in excess of 15 pages. Please format according to the standard unpublished playwriting or screenwriting format.
- Experimental Narratives. We love narratives in all forms. Whether it’s digital poetics, a video, or a transmedia, genre-bending piece, if it tells a good story, creates compelling characters, and/or tickles our literary senses, we want it. Consider the limits of other categories and our online platform for length guidelines.
- Visual Art. Up to five pieces of art and/or photography per submission. If submitting more than one piece of art, please compile into one file (PDF or otherwise). Brief (1-3 paragraph) artist’s statement or statement about the work preferred. Include appropriate credit lines for all pieces (Artist Name, Title of Work, Year. Medium, Dimensions.)
- Comics. Comics should be self-contained, up to three pages per piece, with no more than three pieces per submission.
- As of 2015, Exposition Review will ONLY accept online submissions through our Submittable.
- Please submit ONLY previously unpublished work. Previously published work will not be considered, including work that has been published online.
- Cover letters should contain all relevant contact information and a brief bio.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but make note of this in your cover letter and notify us immediately if your submission is accepted elsewhere.
- Do not send more than one piece of any genre at one time.
- Please wait until we have responded to your first piece before sending another.
Author retains copyright, but is asked to cite appearance in Exposition Review if the work is republished elsewhere.